Skip to content

Access to your personal information

The General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) and Data Protection Act gives individuals the right to request access from organisations to information held about them (subject to any relevant exemption) and details of how it is processed.


Rights of access to your personal information (subject access).

Due to COVID-19 restrictions and the requirement to work from home, there may be a delay in responding to your request.

I want to…

apply for access to information held on the Police National Computer (PNC)

The Criminal Records Office (ACRO) processes applications to access information held about you on the PNC.

You can request information on:

  • arrests
  • criminal convictions
  • cautions
  • juvenile reprimands
  • final warnings
  • non convictions
  • no further actions outcomes

To apply for information held about you on the PNC, visit the ACRO website.

apply for access to information held on Avon and Somerset Police systems – subject access request

You can make a request to find out if Avon and Somerset Police hold any personal information about you (subject access request) and if so, obtain a copy of that information:

You can request:

  • police incident logs
  • police crime reports
  • photographs
  • statements

You cannot request:

  • certificates of criminal records

There is no charge for providing you with your personal data.


Your request will be processed within one month from receipt of a valid request. Responses to complex or high volume requests can take a further two months. You will be advised if this is the case.

Due to the current circumstances there may be a delay in responding to your request. 

For further information, email


If you are not happy with the way your request is being dealt with, you can raise a complaint with the Information Commissioner’s Office (ICO).

request information for employment purposes

If you require a disclosure for employment purposes, the Criminal Records Office (ACRO) offers a basic level check.

This check will not show convictions classed as spent under the terms of the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act.

To request a basic level check, visit the ACRO website.

To request a full list of offences, including those spent, you will need to make a subject access request – apply for access to your personal data.

apply for or renew a Personal Licence

Subject access disclosures are not covered by the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act. This means the disclosure may contain information about spent convictions, which a third party is not entitled to receive.

If you require a disclosure for a Personal Licence application, you can apply for a basic level check, which does not include spent convictions.

To request a basic level check, visit the ACRO website.

request information for the purpose of employment involving access to children, vulnerable adults or the elderly

To request information for the purpose of employment or self-employment with children, the elderly or the vulnerable, visit the Disclosure and Barring Service website.

If you require a criminal record check to work with children overseas, you should apply for an International Child Protection Certificate (ICPC).

request the deletion of my records from national police systems

All applications for the removal of records from national police systems, such as the Police National Computer, are managed by the Criminal Records Office (ACRO).

To find out if you are eligible and apply to have your records deleted from national police systems, visit the ACRO website.

find out about the disregarding of historical convictions

The law now states that historical convictions for consensual gay sex with people over­ 16 years old, will not show up on criminal record checks.

If you are eligible, you can apply to the Home Secretary to have your conviction disregarded.

For the conviction to be disregarded, it must appear that:

  • All parties involved in the conduct constituting the offence, consented to it and were aged 16 or over at the time the offence was committed
  • Any such conduct would not now be an offence under the Sexual Offences Act 2003

For guidance and to apply to have your conviction disregarded, visit the GOV.UK website.

find out how long my information is held by the police

All our retention periods for your personal information are in line with the National Police Chief Council’s (NPCC) Record Retention and Disposal Schedule.

view our privacy policy

For further details on how we process personal data view our Privacy Notice.

Page feedback
Was this page useful? *
What best describes the reason for your visit today?