Prostitution is the practice of selling sex for money. It is legal in the UK for a person to buy sexual services or work as a private prostitute or escort.
The following related activities are illegal:
- for a prostitute to loiter or conduct solicitation in a street or public place
- kerb crawling (wait for or solicit business in a street or public place, including in a vehicle)
- pimping (controlling prostitutes for financial gain)
- keeping a brothel (a place used for the purpose of prostitution. It is an offence for a landlord, tenant or anyone else to be involved in the running of a brothel)
- advertising the services of call girls by placing cards in phone boxes
- having sex in public