Skip to content

Coronavirus (COVID-19): the policing response and what you need to know

Report fuel theft (bilking)

If a customer has left a petrol station or garage forecourt without making a payment, it is known as bilking.

Report fuel theft

If a customer has left without paying for their fuel, staff can report it:

If there is evidence of a criminal offence, such as false number plates or involvement of a repeat offender, we will continue to investigate using the regular process.

Recover outstanding payment

Genuine mistakes can sometimes happen and in these cases, garages and petrol stations are able to recover any outstanding payments through civil recovery.

This allows a garage or petrol station to obtain the vehicle’s details via the DVLA and contact the owner to arrange for payments to be made.

If after a reasonable attempt at civil recovery the fuel is not paid for, further action can be taken.

I have received a civil recovery letter

If you have received a civil recovery letter, it means the garage or petrol station writing to you believe you have left without making payment for your fuel. Failure to respond or make payment may lead to further action being taken by the police.

Page feedback
Was this page useful? *
What best describes the reason for your visit today?