Leave site
Skip to content

Report drink and drug spiking

Drink spiking is illegal and can carry a sentence of up to ten years in prison, even when no other offence has been committed.

Spiking is when someone puts alcohol or drugs into another person’s drink or body without their consent or knowledge.

People can also be a victim of ‘needle spiking’, which is injecting someone with drugs without their consent.

Spiking can happen to anyone anywhere, whatever their gender, sexuality, age or ethnicity, and can be carried out by strangers or people you know.

Immediate danger

If you think you or someone you know may have been spiked, call 999.

Report drink and drug spiking

What should I do if I think I have been spiked?

  • Tell those you are with that you suspect you may have been spiked and if possible, keep hold of the drink you believe may have been spiked as it could be used in evidence.
  • If you are out in a bar, club, or public venue, you can report it to a member of staff who will be able to help and support you.
  • If you are injured or have symptoms you are worried about after being spiked, call the NHS on 111.
  • If you think you may have been sexually assaulted, go to your nearest sexual assault referral centre (SARC) for specialist care and support.

Guidance and support

Further support can be found on our drink and drug spiking advice and guidance page.

Page feedback
Was this page useful? *
What best describes the reason for your visit today?