Leave site
Skip to content

Report domestic abuse

Domestic abuse is when one person’s behaviour towards another is controlling, forced or threatening. Domestic abuse is defined as between those aged 16 or over who are personally connected.

You are ‘personally connected’ to someone if they are current or ex-partner, family member or share parental responsibility for a child with you.

Domestic abuse covers different types of abuse, including:

  • Emotional and psychological – making degrading comments, judging or manipulating you
  • Controlling or coercive behaviour – commenting or monitoring on what you do, who you see and where you go
  • Financial or economical – monitoring or controlling your money, employment, education, transport or food and clothing
  • Physical – biting, hitting, strangling, restraining or injuring you in any way
  • Sexual – using force, threats or intimidation to make you engage in sexual acts
  • Stalking and harassment – following you or making continued unwanted contact
  • Violent or threatening behaviour – making threats towards you, your family or themselves, angry gestures, destroying your possessions

Domestic abuse can affect anyone regardless of ethnicity, age, gender, sexuality or social background. It also includes honour-based abuse and forced marriage.

Everyone has the right to live free from abuse. You are not to blame and you are not alone. You will be believed and listened to and we will do everything we can to support you and help keep you safe.

Report domestic abuse to the police

If you are a victim of domestic abuse or know someone who is, report it to us:


Immediate danger

Call 999 if you are in immediate danger.

Making a silent 999 call
If you are not able to talk during a 999 call, you may be asked to cough or press a button on your phone, so the operator knows you are listening.

The call handler will then ask you to press 55. This lets them know it is an emergency and you will be put through to the police.

Do not call 999 and press 55 immediately as it might not be registered as an emergency call. Pressing 55 only works on mobiles and does not allow the police to track your location.


        What happens after a report has been made?

        If you feel ready and wish to report the abuse as a crime, the police will attend and investigate. We will risk assess the crime to ensure it is dealt with by the appropriate team. Find out more about what happens after a domestic abuse report has been made.

        Support for victims

        You are not to blame for what is happening and you are not alone. There are local and national organisations who can help you. View details of organisations who can support you.

        How to hide this visit from your web history

        If you are worried about someone knowing that you have visited our website, you can remove traces of your visit. Find out how to clear your browser history.

        Domestic Violence Disclosure Scheme (DVDS)

        The Domestic Violence Disclosure Scheme (DVDS) gives any member of the public the right to ask the police to disclose information about someone’s history of domestic violence or violent acts. It is also known as ‘Clare’s Law’.

        If you have concerns about your partner, or you are worried that someone you know may be in a relationship with a previously abusive partner, make a request by visiting a police station or calling 101.

        Page feedback
        Was this page useful? *
        What best describes the reason for your visit today?