Police constable transferee vacancies
We are looking for experienced police constables for a variety of roles throughout Avon and Somerset Police.
We are looking for the highest quality officers to join our ranks. You must be able to commit to and deliver our force values in everything you do.
If you currently serve in a Home Office force and are looking to transfer to Avon and Somerset we would like to hear from you.
Are you eligible?
You are eligible to transfer if you:
- are transferring from a Home Office Police force
- have successfully completed the full Initial Police Learning and Development Programme (IPLDP) and have completed a Policing Diploma
- have successfully completed your probationary period
If you are looking to transfer from a non Home Office Police force, British Transport Police or the Ministry of Defence (MOD), you can register your interest for future vacancies.
Why work for us
Avon and Somerset Police has gained a reputation as a pioneering and innovative force, responsible for policing a large diverse, multi-cultural population.
Find out why you should work for us.
The transfer process
We will begin to process your application immediately on receipt.
During the recruitment process we will:
- review your current skills and experience
- discuss your career aspirations
- look to match your skillset and aspirations to our available vacancies – whether that be in Response, Investigations or other specialist areas
If you are successfully shortlisted, you will be invited for an interview at Avon and Somerset Police Headquarters. We ask that you provide the following when you arrive for your interview:
- Medical / Occupational Health Report
- Sickness Record
Shortlisting takes place at the beginning of each month and interviews will be held within 4 weeks of the advert closing. Interview dates will be confirmed following shortlisting.
We recognise the personal impact of transferring between constabularies and will therefore offer flexible start dates to cater for individual circumstances where possible.
Police officers are required to live in the Avon and Somerset Police area and within a 20 mile radius of their station of posting.
We would strongly recommend that you do not enter into any lease or purchase of property until a posting is confirmed.
Postings are decided on the basis of need for personnel at particular locations.
Your preferences will be noted and attempts will be made to accommodate.
If you currently receive a housing or rent allowance in your existing force, our force equivalent allowance will be paid.
Fitness and medical checks
On the day of your interview, you will be required to attend a:
- Medical Assessment
- Uniform Fitting
- Biometric vetting sampling appointment
- Substance misuse test
- Fitness test
The fitness test will consist of the following elements:
- Warm up to level 3 on endurance fitness shuttle run (bleep test) followed by two minutes of stretching
- Endurance fitness shuttle run (bleep test) up to level 5/4
Body Mass Index (BMI)
You will need to meet our BMI standards as follows:
- A BMI of 30.1% or more will mean you are referred for a body fat assessment. The outcome of the assessment will determine whether you are eligible to join.
- A BMI of 35.1% or more will mean your application will not be processed further unless there are compelling or exceptional circumstances.
Ready to join us?
To make a recruitment related query, contact our Talent Acquisition team.