Completing your application
Interested in joining Avon and Somerset Police? Read our guidance on how to complete your application.
Your application is the first time that we hear from you, so it is essential you put time and effort into evidencing the essential criteria for the role.
Your application is the only information we use to select you for an interview.
- Refer to the job description and person specification: Think carefully about how you meet the shortlisting criteria for the post and take the time to show how your skills make you suitable for the job. Make sure your examples clearly set out the scenario, tell us what you did and let us know about the positive impact that you made. Your answer should clearly provide the evidence requested.
- Show off your transferable skills: Demonstrate situations when you have used skills which are directly transferable into the job that you are applying for. For example, problem solving, teamwork, workload management and analytical skills, as well as your ability to cope with high pressure situations. Your examples do not need to be exclusively work-based.
- Celebrate the positives: Make sure you highlight the positivity that you can bring to Avon and Somerset Police and be clear on your application where you have delivered results. It can be helpful to have someone that you trust read your application to see whether you are truly demonstrating what you are capable of.
- Give your full employment history: Give your full employment history from when you left school/college until now, including brief reasons for any gaps in between employment, if applicable. When applying for care posts or posts working directly with children or vulnerable adults it is important you include dates.
- List references: We require employment references to cover 3 years. Your first reference must be your manager or a senior manager representing your most recent employer. References will not be accepted from colleagues, relations or people who know you solely as a friend.
- Check your spelling and grammar: Prepare your answers in a Microsoft Word document first so that you can use the grammar and spelling check tool.
- Remember to proofread your answers: Take your time to make sure they represent your skills and experience.
If you have any questions, contact our Talent Acquisition Team.