With an ageing population here in West Somerset, we have many vulnerable people who are susceptible to cold calling/fraud/scams.
- If you are offered anything that sounds too good to be true, then it generally is.
- Do not give out any personal details or bank details, either over the phone or by any other means.
- If you need work done, e.g. gardening/painting/house repairs, always use someone who is personally recommended to you by a neighbour, family member or friend.
- Try not to get work done by anyone who just knocks on your door offering services. You do not know the quality of their work or their honesty/ integrity.
- Most villages have a local Community magazine that will have a directory of reputable people who can be recommended to carry out all sorts of work.