Skip to content

Coronavirus (COVID-19): the policing response and what you need to know

Speeding Notice – Option 2

A Notice of Intended Prosecution is sent out when a vehicle has been detected driving in excess of the speed limit.

The first Notice is sent to the vehicle’s DVLA registered keeper, who has to identify the driver.

You may have received a Notice if the registered keeper has identified you as being the possible driver during the alleged speeding offence.

Identifying the driver

You must reply within 28 days of receipt of the Notice, to confirm who the driver was at the time of the alleged speeding offence.

  • If you were the driver, you must confirm this and choose from the driver’s options on your Notice.
  • If you were not the driver, you must respond to the Notice providing details of who was driving. Once we receive your response, we will issue a new Notice to the person or company you have nominated. Do not give your Notice to anyone else to complete.
  • If you are unable to identify the driver, you must respond to the Notice and include a letter explaining what steps you have taken to try and provide this information. Find out more about identifying the driver.

Driver’s options

Depending on the severity of your case, the option to go on a speed awareness course, or pay a fine and receive penalty points may be included in your Notice. 

If these options are not included, they are not available in your case.

Speed awareness course

COVID-19 outbreak: Anyone due to attend a speed awareness course should contact their course provider for details about how they may be affected.

If you have been given the option, you can ask to attend a speed awareness course instead of paying a fine and receiving penalty points.

  • If you pay the fixed penalty fine or send your driving licence to the Conditional Offer Unit, you will not be able to attend a speed awareness course.
  • If you pay for a course before your eligibility has been confirmed, you will need to contact our Speed Enforcement Unit to reactive the facility to pay the fixed penalty online.
  • If you are eligible to attend a speed awareness course but have not received an invitation letter to attend within two weeks of replying to the Notice, contact our Speed Enforcement Unit. A copy of the letter or course provider details can be emailed to you.

The course must be attended within 120 days from the date of the alleged offence.

Booking a course

Once it has been confirmed you are eligible, you can register acceptance of your course offer on the National Driver Offender Retraining Scheme website.


The cost will vary depending on the type of course and which area you choose to take it. It is not possible to pay for a course in instalments under any circumstances.

You can compare costs on the National Driver Offender Retraining Scheme website, using your driving licence details.

Fixed penalty fine and penalty points

If you have been given the option of a Fixed Penalty, visit Paying your Fixed Penalty Notice page to pay online, or use the contact details on your Fixed Penalty application form.

Once you have paid the fine, you will need to send your driving licence to the Conditional Offer Unit.

Due to high demand, the waiting time for licences to be returned is currently up to 2 weeks from receipt.

For more information about driving licences, to Driving licence enquiry.

Dispute the offence

If you wish to dispute the speeding offence for any reason, you must request a court hearing, along with an explanation of why you want the case to go to court.

If you have a question about a court summons, go to Advice about a court summons.

If you have any further questions about how to reply to the Notice, read our guidance on completing the Notice.

Court summons

You must send your driving licence to the Conditional Offer Unit within the time stated on the Notice or any correspondence received from the Speed Enforcement Unit. If this date has passed, a court summons could be issued.

Find out more about a court summons.

Further guidance

If you have any further questions, read our guidance on completing the Notice.

If you have sent correspondence to the Speeding Enforcement Unit and not received an acknowledgement within 4 weeks or if you have lost your Notice of Intended Prosecution, contact the Speed Enforcement Unit.

Common questions

Do you have to be a regular police officer to carry out speed enforcement?

Section 89(2) of the Road Traffic Regulation Act 1984 stipulates only a witness is required to gather evidence of speeding.

All Avon and Somerset Police enforcement officers are police staff and eligible to drive liveried police fleet vehicles.

Are there any rules you must follow when carrying out enforcement?

When conducting speed enforcement, the operational document that UK Constabularies observe is the National Police Chiefs Council (NPCC) ‘Guide for the Operational Use of Speed and Red-light Offence Detection Technology’.

The current NPCC guide is freely available to download via the National Police Library website.

Do you operate as part of a partnership with Local Authorities?

The Avon and Somerset Police Speed Enforcement Unit is entirely a police led operation, with no partnership affiliations.

Does the enforcement have to be completely visible?

There is no legal requirement for enforcement officers or their vehicles to be visible. NPCC operational guidelines refers to visibility in order to ensure the safety of the operators. Marked vehicles allow other motorists to see them easier and reduce the risk of collision and injury to personnel engaged in enforcement. There is no requirement for warning signs to be placed when enforcement officers are operating, the speed limit signs or the system of street lighting acts as the warning for motorists.

Do you have to put out warning signs to tell people that speed checks are taking place?

There’s no requirement for warning signs of any description to be deployed whilst carrying out enforcement.

Do you enforce 20mph zones?

Just like any other speed limit, we enforce 20mph zones. These areas are often near schools or residential areas and people exceeding the speed limit puts vulnerable people, such as children, at risk of serious injury.

What can I do to help stay at a lower speed?

Keeping your vehicle in a low gear can help with maintaining a lower speed. Frequently check your speedometer and ensure you don’t exceed the speed limit.

I’ve just driven along the road you’re enforcing, but there are no signs to indicate what the speed limit is?

If the road in question has a 30mph speed limit with a system of street lighting, traffic signage regulations prohibit the use of any additional repeater signage.

So having passed the initial entry gateway signs that indicate where the 30mph limit commenced, then it’s the presence of street lights and absence of any further speed limit signs that indicate that the limit is 30mph.

The reverse is true if there are no street lights in a 30mph limit, here there must be repeater signs.


Speed Enforcement – Your Questions Answered (PDF) contains additional information about equipment, deployment and Community SpeedWatch.

Page feedback
Was this page useful? *
What best describes the reason for your visit today?