Skip to content

Coronavirus (COVID-19): the policing response and what you need to know

Report parking issues

Your local councils are responsible for the enforcement of parking offences. The Police will only deal with vehicles causing a hazard or obstruction.

Your local council is responsible for dealing with vehicles parked:

  • on double yellow lines
  • on single yellow lines outside the permitted hours (check signs for times)
  • in a space for Blue Badge holders or in a residential parking bay (unless they are entitled to do so)
  • in a marked taxi bay, cycle lane, bus lane or on a red line
  • near a school entrance with mandatory School Keep Clear markings or a bus stop

To report an illegally parked vehicle, contact your local council.

Obstructions and hazards

You should report a vehicle to us if it is:

  • parked in a dangerous position such as on zig zag lines or other pedestrian crossings
  • opposite or within ten metres of a junction
  • over a dropped kerb
  • blocking a road or pavement which causes pedestrians to enter the road
  • preventing you from being able to park or get your vehicle off your driveway (try to find the owner and ask them to move the vehicle, before reporting)
  • preventing emergency vehicles from accessing an area

You can report a vehicle causing an obstruction:

Page feedback
Was this page useful? *
What best describes the reason for your visit today?