Report a threat
A threat is a statement of an intention to cause pain, injury, damage or other hostile action.
A threat to kill or cause serious harm is when you genuinely believe that the person who threatened you intends to carry out that threat and you think they are capable of doing so.
Call 999 if you or someone you know are receiving threats which you feel put you or the person in immediate danger.
Report a threat
Useful details when making a report
When reporting a threat, provide as much detail as you can, such as:
- How did the person make the threat? Was it in person or via social media or through a third party such as a friend or family member?
- Do you believe the person is capable of and intends to carry out the threat?
- Details of the threat made. What was said, did they give you any timeframe around the threat?
- What happened before they made the threat and after the threat was made?
- Do you have any evidence around the threat being made such as voicemails, screenshots of a text message or social media conversations?
- Has this happened before, and have you reported it to us in the past?
If there is a serious risk of the threat to life or to cause serious harm being carried out, we will take immediate action to protect the potential victim and anyone else at risk.
Report a Hate crime
A hate crime is a criminal offence which has been perceived by the victim as having been motivated by some form of prejudice or hate. Find out how to report a hate crime.
Report criminal damage or arson
Criminal damage involves damaging or destroying the property of others. Find out how to report criminal damage or arson.
Report rape or sexual assault
Being pressured or forced to have sex or engage in sexual activity when you do not want to, is a serious crime. Find out how to report rape or sexual assault.
Harassment can be any repeated behaviour that is unwanted and makes you feel threatened, scared or upset. Find out how to report harassment.
Report online bullying and threatening messages
If someone is sending you threatening messages or harassing you online, this could amount to a criminal offence. Find out how to report online bullying and threatening messages.