Skip to content

Coronavirus (COVID-19): the policing response and what you need to know

Report fuel theft

If a customer has left a petrol station or garage forecourt without making a payment, and you think it was an honest mistake, you can make a civil recovery

Civil recovery

You can start the civil recovery process by completing a V888/2A form at www.GOV.UK to request the name and address of the registered keeper at the time of the incident.

You can then write to the registered keeper advising them of the date and time of the incident, amount owed and how they can arrange to make payment with you.

If after a reasonable attempt at civil recovery the fuel is not paid for, you can report the theft to us using the online fuel-theft form.

Criminal offence

If there is evidence of a criminal offence, you should report the incident to the police, using the online fuel-theft form.

Indicators of a criminal offence are:

  • false number plates
  • concealing their or vehicle’s identity
  • filling container(s) with fuel
  • driving off at speed
  • a repeat offender

Page feedback
Was this page useful? *
What best describes the reason for your visit today?