Skip to content

Coronavirus (COVID-19): the policing response and what you need to know

Contacting the police if you are deaf or find it hard to communicate – March 2021

For people who are deaf, hard of hearing, deafblind or have a speech impairment, there are several ways to contact the police.


  • Text the emergency number 999. You MUST register your mobile phone number before using this service. You only need to do this once. Send a text message to the number 999, with the word ‘Register’, and follow the simple instructions. Find out more about the Emergency Text Service.
  • If you use Text Relay, dial 18000 and you will be put through to the police.
  • Ask a hearing person to dial 999.


  • Text the non-emergency number on 07400 279101. There is no need to pre-register for this service.
  • If you use Text Relay, dial 18001 101.
  • Ask a hearing person to dial 101.
  • Fax 01275 814546.

Police Link Officer for Deaf people (PLOD)

When you contact the police, you can ask for a Police Link Officer for Deaf people (PLOD). 

PLOD is a scheme that promotes equal access to the police for people in Avon and Somerset who are deaf or hard of hearing.

The purpose of this scheme is to build and maintain relationships with the deaf community within our region. PLOD officers act as a contact point for the public, staff and officers in the force who have or may have contact with deaf people.

PLOD is made up of police officers, PCSOs and staff members from across the force.

Page feedback
Was this page useful? *
What best describes the reason for your visit today?