Nick Adams, Chief Officer
Nick is the Chief Officer for Finance, Resources and Innovation at Avon and Somerset Police.
Nick has held several roles within the organisation including, Head of Finance and heading up the Transformation and Improvement directorate which helps the organisation to plan and deliver business improvement.
He became the Chief Officer for Finance, Resources and Innovation in 2018.
- Administrative functions
- Chief Officer lead for disability, neurodiversity and religion
- Enquiry Offices
- Estates and Facilities Management
- Fleet Management
- Information Technology
Investing in policing, building on solid foundations
Nick says: “Having been born in Southmead Hospital and grown up in South Gloucestershire, I am immensely proud to work for my home police service, where I can make a difference to the community in which my family, friends and I live our lives.
Every day I am inspired by colleagues from across the organisation. My aim is to ensure that we continue to provide them with the best support including technological support to make them as effective as they can be in keeping our communities safe.
Like many of us, my life is touched by those family and friends who live with disability. As the chief officer leading on disability and neurodiversity, I am proud to help ensure that those living with disability can achieve their full potential with us.
I have helped guide Avon and Somerset Police through the challenges of austerity, I am energised by the opportunities that are now presented by our investment in policing. Building on our solid foundations, I believe the introduction of extra police officers will help us toward our vision of providing outstanding policing to everyone.”
- 2002 – PricewaterhouseCoopers – initial training working with a broad range of public, private and third sector clients
- 2005 – Qualified as a Chartered Accountant (ICAEW)
- 2008 – Principal Accountant at Avon and Somerset Police
- 2009 – Head of Finance
- 2018 – Deputy Director of Transformation and Improvement
- 2018 – Chief Officer for Finance, Resources and Innovation
- Leading Avon and Somerset Police through the Government’s austerity measures and making savings of £80 million over 9 years.
- Played a vital role in creation of the 2017 Tipping Point report which analysed the demand on Avon and Somerset Police against its finances and its workforce wellbeing. Helping to shape discussions around police funding nationally.
- Introduced the first Force Annual Management Statement in 2018. This set out the full picture of demand across the organisation, areas of concern and risk, strengths, and areas for development.
- Led on pulling together the various plans and strategies for improvement and change across the organisation into a single strategy which clearly sets out Avon and Somerset Police’s mission, value and vision.
- Ensuring the organisation delivers increased police officer numbers within Avon and Somerset as part of the national recruitment campaign of 20,000 officers by March 2023.
- Overseeing investment in automating repetitive processes such as uniform ordering so that can be managed automatically.
- Managing the transformation of the organisation’s estates, including the refurbishment and delivery of suitable new buildings across the policing area.
- Chief Officer leading on disability and neurodiversity and religion and helping to ensure no barriers to people achieving their full potential with Avon and Somerset Police.
Qualifications and awards
- LLB (Hons), Oxford Brookes University
- Fellow of the Institute of Chartered Accountants in England and Wales
- Since 2013, he has been a voluntary trustee of the Wheels Project which centres on crime prevention by offering life skills and practical training to socially excluded teenagers who may be struggling with their studies or have low attendance levels.
- He is married with two children, enjoys watching cricket and football and is a keen film fan.