Chief Officer Dan Wood
Dan joined Avon and Somerset Police in 2014 and is the Chief Officer for People and Organisational Development. As a strategy, change, people services and organisational development professional, Dan has held a number of senior leadership roles within the organisation.
Dan became Deputy Director for People and Organisational Development in 2018 and was appointed Chief Officer in January 2020. He is responsible for the full breadth of HR services from recruitment and workforce planning to payroll and advisory, alongside health and safety, occupational health and organisational development programmes in areas such as inclusion and diversity, leadership development and wellbeing.
In addition to this, he is responsible for our training and learning functions including oversight of the Black Rock Specialist Firearms Training Centre.
“I grew up in Avon and Somerset and consider it to be home. I know and love the places and communities well and it is where my wider family and many of my friends live. It is a vibrant and diverse place that has its own unique character, strengths and challenges.
The people that live and visit here deserve the best possible police service – one that is modern, innovative and effective and that maintains the trust and confidence of all those it serves. This depends on the wellbeing and effectiveness of our workforce and the tools and support they have to do their job.
“My focus is on securing and nurturing diverse talent and making sure our workforce has the right skills to flourish.”
I feel an immense sense of pride in working alongside so many dedicated, talented and inspiring colleagues, seeing them collaborate to solve problems and make lives better. At the heart of this is leading and living by values we stand for as an organisation: caring, inclusive, courage and learning.
Just like our frontline officers and staff, I come to work every day to serve the public to the best of my ability. This is about ensuring our people are enabled, supported, trained and developed, engaged, healthy and reflective of our values in their everyday work.”
- People Strategy
- Workforce Planning
- Business Partnering and HR Advisory
- Inclusion and Diversity
- Occupational Health, Safety and Wellbeing
- Training and Development
- Organisational Development projects and programmes
- Force diversity champion with specific leadership responsibility for LGBT+; developing policies, supporting our employee network and working towards becoming a Stonewall accredited Top 100 organisation
- 2005 – UK Sector Skills Council for Health with leadership roles covering marketing and digital communications, corporate governance, wider corporate services, facilities management and consultancy work.
- 2014 – Joined Avon and Somerset Police as Head of Strategy and Planning.
- 2015 – Head of Strategic Service Improvement and then Strategy and Transformation.
- 2018 – Deputy Director – People and Organisational Development.
- 2019 – Chief Officer – People and Organisational Development.
Career highlights and achievements
- Leading a programme, as Head of Strategy and Transformation, to review resources and priorities, resulting in a new organisational structure for policing operations and services. This proved critical in balancing budgets and making savings in response to austerity measures, whilst also improving productivity and performance.
- Leading and developing our partnership with the University of the West of England to deliver a new model of initial police training and learning with the Police Constable Degree Apprenticeship launched in 2019.
- Providing leadership and development to several award-winning teams including business intelligence, organisational development and digital services, helping Avon and Somerset Police to be at the forefront of analytics, digital services and inclusion and diversity.
Qualifications, awards and recognition
- BA (Hons) Degree in Publishing (Oxford Brookes University).
- Fast Track Programme for Leadership and Management in Schools (Exeter University).
- Post Graduate Certificate in Strategic Management (Bristol University).
- Fellow of the Chartered Management Institute (FCMI).
- Fellow of the Institute of Leadership and Management (FInstLM).
- Fellow of the Royal Society for the Encouragement of Arts, Manufactures and Commerce (FRSA).
- Leadership Fellow of St. George’s House, Windsor Castle.
- Member of the Institute of Directors (MIoD).
- Dan holds a number of industry-recognised change management qualifications and is trained in an array of skills including consultancy, mediation and coaching.
- Dan has volunteered for many years, most notably holding a number of strategic leadership roles in the Scout Movement, both in the UK and worldwide, as national Board Trustee, County Commissioner and UK International Commissioner.
- He has also held senior leadership roles in several other local and national voluntary organisations associated with education, diversity and human rights and international development as well as being a school governor.
- He enjoys playing the piano and reading in his spare time.