Dan Wood, Chief Officer
Dan is the Chief Officer for People and Organisational Development at Avon and Somerset Police.
Dan joined Avon and Somerset Police in 2014 as a people services and organisational development professional.
He became Deputy Director for People and Organisational Development in 2018 and was appointed Chief Officer for People and Organisational Development in January 2020.
- Business Partnering and HR Advisory
- Chief Officer Lead for Faith and Beliefs
- Inclusion and Diversity
- Occupational Health, Safety and Wellbeing
- Organisational Development projects and programme
- People Strategy
- Training and Development
- Workforce Planning
Working alongside dedicated, talented colleagues
Dan says: “I grew up in Avon and Somerset area and consider it to be home. I know and love the places and communities well and it is where my wider family and many of my friends live. It is a vibrant and diverse place that has its own unique character, strengths, and challenges.
The people that live and visit here deserve the best possible police service – one that is modern, innovative and effective and that maintains the trust and confidence of all those it serves. This depends fundamentally on the character, condition and capabilities of our workforce and the tools and support we provide them so that can do their job.
I feel an immense sense of pride in working alongside so many dedicated, talented and inspiring colleagues, seeing them collaborate to solve problems and make lives better. At the heart of this is leading and living by values we stand for as an organisation: caring, inclusive, courage and learning.
Just like our frontline officers and staff, I come to work every day to serve the public to the best of my ability. My focus is on securing and nurturing diverse talent and making sure our workforce has the right skills to flourish. This is about ensuring our people are enabled, supported, trained and developed, engaged, healthy, and reflective of our values in their everyday work.”
- 2005 – UK Sector Skills Council for Health with leadership roles covering marketing and digital communications, corporate governance, wider corporate services, facilities management and consultancy work
- 2014 – Joined Avon and Somerset Police as Head of Strategy and Planning
- 2015 – Head of Strategic Service Improvement and then Strategy and Transformation
- 2018 – Deputy Director – People and Organisational Development
- 2020 – Chief Officer – People and Organisational Development
- Led the programme to review resources and priorities and as a result, designed and delivered a fresh business model. This proved critical in balancing budgets and making savings in response to austerity measures, whilst also improving productivity and performance.
- Leading and developing our partnership with the University of the West of England (UWE) to deliver a new model of police training and learning the Police Constable Degree Apprenticeship in 2019.
- Providing leadership and development to several award-winning teams including business intelligence, organisational development, and digital services.
- Helping Avon and Somerset Police to be at the forefront of analytics, digital services and inclusion and diversity.
Qualification and awards
- BA (Hons) Degree in Publishing (Oxford Brookes University)
- Fast Track Programme for Leadership and Management in Schools (Exeter University)
- Post Graduate Certificate in Strategic Management (Bristol University)
- Fellow of the Chartered Management Institute (FCMI)
- Fellow of the Institute of Leadership and Management (FInstLM)
- Fellow of the Royal Society for the Encouragement of Arts, Manufactures and Commerce (FRSA)
- Leadership Fellow of St. George’s House, Windsor Castle
- Member of the Institute of Directors (MIoD)
- He has volunteered for many years including holding several strategic leadership roles in the Scout Movement, both in the UK and worldwide as national Board Trustee, County Commissioner and UK International Commissioner.
- He has also held senior leadership roles for other local and national voluntary organisations related to education, diversity and human rights and international development as well as being a school governor.
- He also enjoys playing the piano and reading in his spare time.